We all try to avoid accidents as much as possible because they are a horrible experience. They can affect us physically, emotionally, or financially. People easily get overwhelmed by the chaos, confusion, and emotion.
Your immediate actions can help you avoid or reduce injuries, save lives, and make the claims process more manageable. The first step to take after an accident is always to ensure everyone’s safety. It would be best if you then focused on added safety, such as first aid checkup and the claim process.
In this guide, we will focus on what you need to do after an accident to help the claims process. Carrigan Insurance works closely with individuals and organizations to make the car insurance claims process more manageable.
1. Call 911
Call 911 as you ensure the safety of everyone and assess the accident. Dispatch will send the police, medics, and firefighters (if there is a major accident). Once they arrive, they first check if everyone is safe. The law will make a regular report of the accident, which is necessary for your insurance claim.
2. Engage Your Agent As Soon as It’s Practical
You should reach out to your insurance agent to make a claim as soon as possible. An accident can overwhelm you with confusion or emotion and prevent you from providing accurate details. If you are physically okay, we advise you to make the call at the scene so that the police can help you describe the accident to the agent.
3. Ensure You Document the Accident
Documentation has a lot of influence and usefulness to your insurance claim. You can get a car accident form to help you collect the necessary information. The form is available at your local DMV or from the police. You can use photos and videos to back your claim.
It is essential to collect the following information:
- Car Accident Details: Use your car accident form to collect information like time, date, address of the accident, and more. The car accident form will guide you to collect this information. You should note that every state has their car accident form.
- Details of the Other Driver: Note their name, address, and contact information.
- The Other Party’s Insurance Details: Get their insurance company name and policy number, which are on his or her proof of insurance.
- Details of the Other Car: Document the other vehicle’s description, registration information, and license plate number.
5. Be Polite but Avoid Discussions of the Accident With the Other Party
Be polite to the other party and passers-by but limit your discussions about the accident. It would be best to discuss it with the medics, your insurance agent, and the police. However, do not admit the fault of the accident.
6. Answer Questions to Assist the Police With the Accident Report
The police will have some questions which you should readily answer. It will help them with the accident report. Remember, it is in your interest not to admit fault.
Thinking of Getting a Personalized Car Insurance in Waukesha, WI?
A personalized car insurance policy is the one that fits your needs. Insurance coverage protects your vehicle, cost of injury to accident victims, and property damage. When selecting an insurance company, you should go for one that includes liability, comprehensive, and collision coverage to get the best deal.
It would be best if you worked closely with your insurance provider to help manage the claims process. The agent will assess your situation thoroughly and answer all your questions.
Contact Carrigan Insurance to get a free auto insurance quote and answer any questions you may have concerning auto insurance.